Marko, it’s hard to believe that you actually agree with the current configuration of the youth academy. You yourself said that good players start appearing at levels 5, 6, and 7. I’m already at level 7, and the last four tryouts have been disappointing. I’m still receiving the same kind of players as at level 1, just like back in October last year.
The difference is that now we’re paying 4 million per week for the academy, and we never have any money left to buy new player, only to cover the maintenance of the facilities. Since you chose to set it up this way, you should at least reduce the maintenance cost. It makes no sense to pay such a high amount every week and receive only mediocre players.
We could have a little conversation here, with shorter posts/messages, today, maybe tomorrow if needed. I will be into this topic every several hours of even much more often.
I believe it can be a good way that we try to understand each orher, including all other Managers with interested in this.
We can start with with a short question. What are your expectations from Youth Academy at level 5-6 or 7?
You can text me back with shorter messages and I will be around to reply as soon as I see it :)
I believe we all expected to receive better players at higher levels. At level 1, I used to get players with ratings below 5 and low talent, and at levels 5, 6, and 7 it doesn’t seem much different. Today I even received a player with rating 4 and very poor talent.
This is worrying because it’s a lot of money for very little return, and it makes it harder to rejuvenate the squad, especially since many players are already around retirement age (31–32).
I thought that with each level the chances of getting players with +20 rating and good talent would increase, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. Sorry for the long message, but this topic really concerns me.
Don't judge a young player just by his starting rating. He is at the age of 14, 15 or 16 and it if he has decent potential, he can improve noticeably until the age of 17 and of course later in his 2nd development stage.
Your very poor one is obviously not that good, but even those players could become worth for rotations at the early seasons or in a lower level divisions.
Did you get any player in your two teams with below average or higher potential after checking it with several scouts? It's private info, so you don't need to answer if you don't want to share :)
PS By increasing Youth Academy levels, you mostly improve chances to get a player with better potential and to pull players more often (-8% time on every upgrade). Of course, you increase chances to get a player with higher starting rating, but it doesn't grow that significantly like the previous two factors :)
But a higher initial rating would help the team much more, because no one will be able to upgrade the youth academy and the training center at the same time. This means it will take much longer for players to develop.
I’m currently at level 7 in the academy and stopped at level 5 in the training center. And when I move to level 8 in the academy, I will probably have to downgrade the training center from level 5 to level 4 because it will become too expensive to maintain.
So far, the best player I’ve received has been an average one — and that’s across all the scouting rounds I’ve done from level 1 to level 7 so far.
Probably there will be more youths with somewhat higher starting rating now when, I guess, decent number of Academics are at least level 5 or higher. It's hard to judge on 5 or 10 pulls. After 2-3 seasons at some Youth Acameny level, you (anybody) will have better insight.
Well, Average rating is really high at the moment. I mean, it's high overall. I believe that you and probably some other managers wish more from Youth Academy, just because the starting rating of youths is not high and their potential names doesn't sound "amazing". We could consider to write in the Manual at the S4 Update, a short description about youths' potentials.
Also, we didn't create a system that pushing all to the max is winning strategy. It isn't. Then this wouldn't be a Football Manager game, it would be "just clink and don't think" game 😀 Many strategies could lead to great result and it requires some thinking, planning, prediction, adaptability to market or overall situation etc.
Players with very high rating have very high wages, almost like in real football. To have Training Ground and Youth Academy at very high level or at the max. might not be even possible, except the team is achieving exceptional results continuously in the League and in the International competitions.
I agree that there are other strategies, and right now I see some people following different approaches. For example, there is a team that invested more than 60 million in signings and today they are doing very well in the Champions, a short/medium-term strategy. However, on the other hand, their stadium is still small and I find it unlikely that they are investing heavily in infrastructure.
Meanwhile, there are people who are not signing anyone so they can invest in the stadium and facilities, focusing mainly on youth development to reap the rewards in the long term.
The issue is that this strategy of focusing on infrastructure is generating a lot of losses and, so far, without any return.
5 players here various ratings and development,
L 4 Training/ L5 Youth
At the moment Lossing 2 mill but making that back once the sponsor agreement runs out 10 days.
Worse youth at poor, best at Above Avg.
14 -17 aged
If the rate of growth is slow those players will bloom close to 28-30
(my guesstimate)
A player will quick dev in my mind would be 25-28 aged
As for Rating I would say below Ratings = 25-35
Avg Rating at 35-50
Now the question on most of our minds will these player sell, your guess is as good as mine.
Hard to say pending on what the transfer market players ratings/need are at the time.
I would think we might see more of these players.
As Marko has mentioned we need to keep an eye on all things we as managers.
At a guess, there might be better players at higher levels aka more chance to pull them
no Guarantee, in my mind .
I would like the system even more if we could choose the position needed in our youth pulls.